Ensenada is a magical town in Mexico, located in the state of Baja California Sur, and among all its tourist, cultural and historical attractions, there is one that stands out the most and that is the famous Ruta del Vino Ensenada (Ensenada Wine Route).
Ensenada Ruta del Vino (Wine Route), Baja California
Ensenada is a privileged region of Mexico, with very fertile lands and a perfect climate for the production and harvesting of grapes. And we know that grapes are excellent fruits for the production of wines.
Well, thanks to the climate, the land and the grape harvest, Ensenada has become the largest producer of wines in Mexico, creating more than 90% of them. This number has been achieved thanks to its more than 150 wineries.
But then, what is the Ruta del Vino? The wine route is nothing more than a tour of the main wine producing houses of Ensenada, which include the regions of the valleys of Guadalupe (Valle de Guadalupe), San Antonio de las Minas, Ojos Negros, Santo Tomás, San Vicente, La Grulla, Tanamá, Las Palmas and San Valentín.
Particularly this tour includes visits to the various wine producing houses such as El Cielo, Baron Balché, Decanto, where you can enjoy a wine tasting. But that’s not all, because the tour is also accompanied by visits to restaurants and craft stores in the region.
How can I walk the wine route?
If you want to tour the entire wine route that includes the 9 regions mentioned above, you can purchase a 4 – 5 day tour that costs approximately 10,000, 15,000 to 20,000 MXN per person.
The price depends on the provider you choose and everything included in the Ensenada wine tour, but in a “generic” way most of these tours break down the itinerary as follows.
- DAY 1: Reception at the Tijuana airport and transfer to the hotel. Overnight in Ensenada.
- DAY 2 : Departure for a tour of the Old Wine Route (Santo Tomas Valley), where we will taste exquisite wines. In addition to a sensory tasting, we will continue with a visit to La Bufadora and a viewpoint to appreciate the entire bay. Transfer to the hotel.
- DAY 3: Departure to the Ojos Negros Valley for a tour of the Wine and Cheese Route. We will visit the Cava de Marcelo, the San Rafael winery and time for lunch (not included). Return to the hotel.
- DAY 4: Tour of three wineries along the Wine Route in Valle de Guadalupe such as LA CETTO, Monte Xanic, Decantos Vinícola, Viñedo la Reyna (wineries may change). Transfer to the airport. End of services.
And these tours include
- 3 nights lodging in Ensenada in a 4 star hotel
- Roundtrip transfers to and from Tijuana airport
- Wine and Cheese Tour
- Visits to wineries
- Transportation during the tours
Another way to tour the Ensenada wine route is to do it on your own. This option can be more economical than the previous one, you just have to consider the access schedules, means of transportation, lodging and small unexpected events.
What is the best way to travel the Wine Route?
The wine route can be done through a private tour or on your own. Each of these 2 ways has advantages and disadvantages. However, the best way to go, without many complications, is through a private tour.
Is it possible to do the wine route in parts?
Yes, you can. People who decide to travel the wine route on their own, usually rent a car and move to one of the 9 regions that comprise the route, to take their time to be in each place and enjoy the scenery, the nearby places and in general more freedom of time and mobility.
Wine Route Rates (Ruta del Vino precios)
There are different rates and prices to travel the wine route and it depends on the way you decide to travel it, but more or less the breakdown of costs is like this.
If you travel on your own:
- Entrance to the vineyards is free of charge.
- Tastings in the vineyards from $50 to $270 pesos.
If you take a tour, the cost depends on the type of tour.
- 4-day Wine Route Tour: 20,000 MXN per person
- Cheese and wine tour: Adults 890 MXN and children 445 MXN.
- Tapas, cheese and wine tour: Adults 1,300 MXN
- Valle de Guadalupe Tour: 5,832.00 MXN
- Basic Wine Tour: 2,979.00 MXN
Although this is the most requested information and travel packages to visit and tour the Ruta del Vino, you can do your own research and surely find something that fits your budget or venture out as a backpacker. Really, whichever option you choose, you have to know it.